Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Friday 21 May 2010

The heart ache

I remember the day of the 11+ results for my daughter. It was my birthday and I was with my 'Fluff' girlfriends in the city -London- having lunch and visiting a gallery. My brain was fried and my heart ached all day. I was miles away from the letterbox next to my front door and was desperate to be there when the mail man came to drop off the post. But I wasn't. I did have my trusty cleaning lady in and paid her to be to be there all day just to wait for the mail and to call me immediately when it arrived so she could sort through it and find the letter from the 11+ board to see if we, not just my little girl, it had become a family thing- had got her much desired place at her -our- chosen school. When CL did call, she said," I'll leave the letter on the hall table for you." 
Fat chance "OPEN IT!" I screamed down the phone. Mind you I was in a restaurant at the time and my Fluffs where very good to explain to the fellow dinners my situation. All the English folk understood and waited on baited breath with me. I was nearly sick in my soup waiting for her to blah, blah, blah to the results part then shrieked with joy- YES- she was in. Then I finished my lunch and even got a few 'well dones' from fellow lunchers
It is that stressful, exams, for parents, for me.
   
  And today, GCSE Biology 9am and PE 2pm started for the boy. My 6'2" tall baby and I have been feeling sick all day for him and maybe a bit for all the other 15-16 year olds in the country sitting the first of at least 18 exams over the next 5 weeks. 


   And how did we start the morning?? Eggs and ham on toast, stale toast! I could have died. How could I do that to him after all the hard work he has been putting in? Though you wouldn't know it by the state of his desk. I send him off without his carbs.
   I snuck some extra chocolate into his blazer pocket before he left this morning to help him along though. I feel the food bill for the next few weeks is going to be high. Feed the brain.
Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I hate exams especially when I can do nothing but wait and see...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very confused there at the beginning. I thought you were recounting your 11+ results day, but I then concluded that if you were in London and talking to your cleaner I was probably off on the wrong tangent - again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Expat mum. Daughter, not mine. I was an SAT's girl.

    ReplyDelete