Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Friday 23 April 2010

Happy Holidays

You would think that with a volcanic eruption and the havoc it caused, the airlines would be bending over backwards to get us all to fly again and give us a great price to motivate us to purchase tickets- FAT CHANCE.
I am about to book the MOST expensive flights to Boston that I have EVER had to pay. As you can guess, I am not very pleased. Bloody airlines are robbing us blind.
There, rant over.

Glad to see Expat has a new member of the family. Just heard the news that we will having a new member in our family but she hasn't been born yet and we won't be able to collect her until we return from holiday in August. A little NSDTR. Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever pup.

Happy to have the chicks back at school finally. They start to get a bit stir crazy if they are home too long and not keeping busy. COD, in my book, is not keeping busy no matter how hard my son tries to persuade me that it is.  Nice try. The girl on the other hand, managed to do a whole term of art in 10 days. Not a bad feat really and it looked great in the end.
 I had to try very hard not to get involved and let her do it herself. Being an arty type makes me want to meddle and sneak down at night and change things on the canvas. But, I was very good and didn't. I waited patiently for her to ask for help before I scooted in with brush in hand.

So my project for this summer has been to start a Wild Flower Meadow out in our field. I set aside about a 1/4 acre last year and drove a path with the tractor around and thru an area to make it look nice then let it grow all summer, killing off ugly weeds and bad stuff. 3 weeks ago I cut down the length of the 'grass' to about 6inches then got on the Internet and researched alot. I ordered meadow seeds  and bought a few plugs and daffs to give variety (35 little plants actually though the Rooster doesn't know that). Dug a bunch of shallow holes (78), mixed up the seeds with a specially growing compost mixture and staggered the whole lot. The meadow is divided into 2 parts, a small and large with an 's' bend path thru it. I have now spent 16 hours and only did the small plot. I think I will see how all this turns out this summer before I start digging up the larger plot. I need something to do next summer.

Happy days and a sore back.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the pictures of your hens... we are one down at the moment and need to get another...yours are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete