Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Wednesday 13 July 2011

Sad

I have the saddest boy ever. I actually have never seen him this sad in all of his 17 years. His dad and I had to tell him that he couldn't go on his rugby tour to Australia  at the beginning of August because of his shoulder. He hasn't broken,snapped or torn anything but he has actually sprained it and the inflammation is quite severe all around the ball and socket joint. 


Well, boy heard, 'nothing broken' from the doctor and then totally zoned out while he was sitting three feet away! I could see his mind wondering off to Brisbane, his un-yet shaved head glistening in the Oz sunshine, rugby ball in hand. Meanwhile, doctor went on to say all the stuff that moms actually listen too. So when I said, 'and contact sports?' and ,'not for 6-8 weeks' popped out, still boy was far far away. I actually had to push his leg to bring him back to earth.


So mean mean mom and dad had to sit the boy down and explain that Australia was too far to go to sit on a bench with your mates if you couldn't actually play. His coach was kind enough to call and have a chat with him as well and reassured him that providing he was fit and able,ie did his exercises and didn't slog out on the couch for the rest of the summer, he would still be starting at pre season at the end of August. 


Physio man on Monday night confirmed that the shoulder will need weeks of non contact sport healing. Boy would have cried if he had let himself. He basically hasn't spoken more then six words to us since and has this permanent frown like pout on his face. 


It breaks my heart. I hate to see the children disappointed and this is a whopper. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh what a huge shame. I feel for him. I know how disappointed my son would be. He has a shoulder injury at the moment too but not as serious as your boy's. The only thing to do is rest it, and there will be other tours in the future.

    ReplyDelete