Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Friday 5 November 2010

Oh, and the chickens are out...

Sometimes Rooster stops home for lunch.

This is fine but he gets a bit forgetful or helpful as he calls it.

Dishes get put into the sink, fine but if food is left on them, very naughty dogs sneak up when our backs are turned and try to remove the plates from the sink to get the food on them. Mind you, this could only be ketchup residue or spilt soup but they have very good noses and are very greedy. They can get the bowls out of the sink and I know this as I have found cereal bowls in their baskets licked so clean that they look like new. Bowls have the lip and are easier to lift out of the sink obviously.

In all fairness, he only leaves them in the sink if the dishwasher is full. I don't really like him emptying the dishwasher because half of the stuff in it ends up on the counter next to the sink. It's all clean stuff but he seems to think that he doesn't know where it goes in the kitchen. Like maybe while the dishwasher was running, it magically made a new salad bowl or spatula and he just wasn't sure where to put. God forbid he put it with the other ones.

Now, Rooster has lived in our house, with me and our chicks, for almost 16 years. The kitchen has been with us for 14 years and the dishwasher and cupboards have been in the same place for that long as well. I need a new kitchen. So how come he can't remember where the cheese grater and the really big tea mugs go? Both of which he probably made dirty so therefore, got out of the cupboards in the first place!

This baffles me, Every time he empties the stupid machine, I end up going in later and putting the other half he left out away.


Today was another home lunch.
Fine, the dogs got the soup can off the counter, I could hear them fighting over it before I even went to investigate. And they have drank out of the water that he filled his soup pot up with in the sink. I caught them doing this. It was amusing really so I didn't get too cross. I really should be taking all three of them to 'puppy' class, not just the puppy.

But the topper was when he called me from the top of the driveway to ask me if I wanted the chickens out. When I ran outside to get them, I did find him out of his car and behind it with his arms out in typical 'shoo girls, back in you go' mode except he wasn't shooing the chicks, he was dusting down his trousers from kneeling under the car, he thought he had run over one of them.
So then I had my arms out, hopping around the driveway getting the girls back to their home.

Rooster kindly pointed out that I had no shoes on and my socks were getting wet.

Thanks honey, come home for lunch anytime. I love it.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yes, familiar territory, 'cept we've got the cats not the dogs and our (real) chicken keep creeping inside the house too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has no clue where anything goes in the kitchen either. Such a guy thing. My daughter has known where everything goes since she could walk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lou, I wouldn't have chickens if they made it inside the front door, either husband would leave them on the counter or dogs would get them!

    Solvang, aren't daughters smart!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny blog and very cute! Thanks for stopping by my new site (Im amazed you found it as I havent been putting the address out there much yet!) as it's great to 'meet' you! And my 12 yo desperately wants chickens (so do I) but we're on a wait and see how a few of our friends do for six months then we'll possibly consider it... I just dont want to get them, begin to love them, then have the local fox find them :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not so much the fox where we are. Chickens are complete time waisters and I find I go and see them and spend ages just watching and listening to them. They don't need much room but a HIGH fence is a must.

    Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete