Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Wednesday 7 September 2011

The Reclamation Yard

So, The Chicks are both back at school as of 7:22 this morning. A sigh of relief passed through me as I closed the door to them. I have the house to myself again and we are all back on schedule for the new year. I don't know why January 1st is considered  the start of the New Year when any mother with a child in school probably feels that it is the day the child starts the new term. 


I can now reclaim my house and space. Having them home, as busy as we were this summer, fills the house in all sorts of ways. Twice as much food, laundry and bodies in the house. They both had friends over constantly and managed to use every room in the house all day long, every day. Now that I have cleaned up a bit and put rooms back in order, I feel things are settling down to normality.


This morning I sat and re-did my calendar for the next couple of months according to the chicks' school calendars, god forbid I miss a rugby match or charity bake sale! I managed to squeeze in my weekly joys around their crazy schedules like yoga classes, work and dog classes. That has taken most of the morning just to sync the blackberry, laptop and old fashion paper calendar.


Then I cleaned the lap top and computer key boards. Apple juice is very hard to clean out of wifi key boards but with a few ear buds, now only the  a and s keys are sticky.


And finally I made the list of all the things that I want to try to do before I get stuck in deep with... the Christmas business. The chicks were great this summer and helped out with projects around the house. They painted the hall way and den, cleaned interior windows and cleaned out closets. This was all done to pay for "V" tickets of course but now they are both really good with a paint brush at least. I have a simpler list. Sort the growing pile of Oxfam clothes under the stairs, clean off the book shelves and get busy making soups for the freezer for the winter. 
Not high energy jobs but satisfying non the less. 


The list will have to start next week though as I am uncomfortably sitting with a huge heating pack on my lower back. Don't jump over your dog when you take them out cross country running, just scream at them to keep going. And if you do jump, don't land in a ditch, wrenching your ankle and straining your back when your arms go flailing wildly to trying to keep yourself upright. So much for the healthy life style. But on the up side, I get the day to myself to mope and feel sorry for myself while taking anti inflammatorys every four hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment