Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Wednesday 21 October 2009

Back on Track?

It's a woman right to change her mind. It's a mother's right to stick to her guns and do what's best for the nest.
Sometimes taking a break to focus on other things is what's needed. Some people might call it procrastination. I call it having all my eggs in one basket. A few get broken now and then but juggling is what it's all about.
All is happy in the nest right now. The chicks are settled as is the rooster. The Canadian geese are flying over head for the winter and thankfully the heat works in this old monstrous hen house. I've had many projects on the go over the last year and a bit, too many boring things really, and I am trying to focus on making the day longer. This is a hard task as the day already starts at 6:20am and ends about 11pm. A short day for some but I look awful with too little sleep and as it is, I am a light sleeper and wake several times in the night. Boring. During the day though, like many women and moms, I don't know where the hours go in the day. The Cooking, cleaning, writing, painting (another project), animals, proper work, and the chicks, all of a sudden it's the next blooming day.
I do find it hard to do even one of these things during the day to my full capacity without interuption on my own part. If I could just cook without having to get on the internet and google a different recipe for the same dish to compare, then I wouldn't end up an hour later ordering the new book I need for my book club, then I wouldn't have burned the barley that was simmering in the first place for soup for the freezer!
Another good one was cleaning out the hen house, the real one with my four girls in it, thinking it would be nice if they had a dutch door with a screen on it, rumaging through the garage to make the project, then being late to collect my chick from the bus stop, covered in saw dust and smelling like the hens. Nobody was happy with that one except me because the door on the hen house is fab.
I heard from family that it snowed in New England over the weekend. I can't seem to get that out of my mind, especially as the writing I am doing is all summer based. I find it hard to focus on warm sunny thoughts for the book. Maybe I should have two on the go at the same time, to go with the seasons.
It's having a good proper rain here at the moment, what season would that fall into? I could do some research or go to the gym or sort the laundry. A mother's day is never done.

No comments:

Post a Comment