Children...

I don't want them to grow up too quickly and miss what being young and carefree is all about.
I want them to enjoy it all. But being their mom, I want to be part of their enjoyment too...So far so good.
My other children- the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers

Sunday 20 May 2012

Buzz Off

So after my crazy run around with my bees last Saturday night, I went to check on the newly homed swarm the next morning. The sun was shinning and as I peeked around the corner of the field, hundreds of bees were doing their thing, buzzing by the hive. Great. I took Great Aunt off to Cambridge Botanical Gardens for a jaunt and we had a lovely time but I was itching to get back to the bees and see how they were doing. So when we got home and Aunt was happy with a book in the garden(wrapped in an extra sweater with socks on- this is May right??) I wiggled into my bee suit, lit the smoker, put on the pink wellies and strolled down to the field to check on my new friends.


Little bugger pissed off, all except 10 of them who were happily lapping up the  sugar syrup I had made for their arrival.  I was gob smacked. They left me!
My bee buddy, Penny says  that this can happen with a first hive as it smells and tastes too new and that maybe they were really heading for somewhere else to begin with when they were caught. My children thought this was hysterical, the bees buzzing off and when they finally got off the floor, realised I was a bit upset by it all and promptly shut up. Secretly I heard them laughing about it behind closed doors, little sods.


So now that Aunt has left, it has been a quiet week. Exam study leave has started so the food bill has doubled. I have been the chief taxi driver to and from schools at odd times to deposit and pick up from exams (this will go on for the next month as well, the taxi-ing). Dog classes have stopped as the trainer is on holiday. I miss running around with the dogs, it's a nice activity for me during the week. It is still chilly and I am sure I had a light tan this time last year! I hate gardening in jeans, two shirts and a sweatshirt, it's not right when it's nearly Summer. My broody hen has finally gotten off her back side and realised that the egg just won't hatch no matter how long she sits on it. She has come thru the last 30 days or so no worse for wear, a little friendlier if anything. She finally got used to me sticking my hand under her to retrieve the odd egg. The water levels in our river have gone right down again so I guess we are in a draught again, Oh well, good thing I live on a river, the dogs won't ever go thirsty.


But best of all, and I will probably jinx it now, I was at a quiz night on Friday when a friend from dog class tapped me on the shoulder. Her bees swarmed and she heard thru the grape(bee) vine that I might like some bees. I met her at her house yesterday afternoon to collect a lovely little swarm that had been hanging for two days on the lowest branches of a fir tree in her garden. We suited up, walked out, boxed them, wrapped them, put them in my car then covered them with a large bucket all in 15 minutes. Yes bees were buzzing everywhere and yes, I drove the six miles home in my bee suit with the netting on. I am sure I looked amusing but I wasn't taking any chances. My friend was stung on her lip Friday morning and by Saturday afternoon it looked like bad Botox gone wrong! I got by new bees to walk up the sheet into their new home then locked in the Queen. 


So, now the thermometer has finally gone over 11c so I am off to suit up and check on the bees. I will let you know if the children laugh at me again.

No comments:

Post a Comment